On March 31, 2021, CUInsight published an interview with CRB Monitor Founder and CEO, Steve Kemmerling, where he explained the tiering system that he developed to help financial institutions define, measure, mitigate marijuana related risk.
In the article, he discusses with Tony Repanich, President & CEO of Shield Compliance, why he created the tiering system, what are the tiers, and how they can best be utilized by credit unions. Whereas marijuana remains federally illegal most credit unions continue to avoid the industry, while those that choose to serve the industry must have robust cannabis-specific policies, procedures and programs to do so without raising the ire of banking regulators.
“Without clear, well-defined policies, you can’t have clear, well-defined procedures. Once a credit union has agreed-upon definitions in place, it can then create a risk matrix that informs what products and services it may or may not extend to any given member."
For more information on related topics, check out our blogs:
- Defining Marijuana Related Businesses
- Separating Fact from Fiction: The SAFE Banking Act
- The MORE Act Passes in the House: Challenges Still Lie Ahead for Marijuana Banking
- State Legalization of Cannabis: How Financial Institutions Can Stay Ahead of the Game
- What a Democrat Majority in the Senate Means for Marijuana Banking
CUInsight.com is the place for all things credit union and host of The CUInsight Experience podcast. They are the leading digital source connecting the credit union community to news, community, opinion, press, career opportunities, events, trusted partners, and each other.