Week of January 7 - 13, 2023
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (January 7 - 13, 2023): 64,820 1A MRBs + 3,613 1B MRBs = 68,433 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Global Hemp Group Announces Execution of Binding LOI with Apollon Formularies PLC
- Marijuana software firm Akerna sells asset for much less than it paid
- California marijuana tech company Blaze buys Tymber e-commerce firm
- BLAZE Cannabis Retail Software Announces Acquisition of Tymber E-commerce Platform
- 2,000 marijuana grow licenses ID'd as potentially illegal, Oklahoma agency says
- Peoples-Stokes frustrated by cannabis retail delay in Western NY
- Lawsuit: Generic drugmakers infringed on Epidiolex cannabis drug patents
Legalization & Regulation
- Indiana lawmakers introduce long-shot marijuana legalization proposals
- Marijuana firms main funders of recent legalization efforts, overtaking advocacy groups
- House lawmakers begin path toward MN marijuana legalization with first committee approval
- State lawmakers debating how to regulate recreational marijuana
- Washington Lawmakers File New Psilocybin Legalization Bill For 2023
- Santa Fe will train doctors on medical cannabis and the Reprocann can be processed in hospitals
- Ciudadanos registers a NLP to promote the regulation of medical cannabis
- Testing Lab Application Open Period Starts Jan. 9 | abra
- Unity Rd. Shop Owner Awarded Recreational License For Cannabis Business in New Jersey
- British Columbia survey finds cannabis-user support for consumption spaces
- Recreational cannabis sales finish year on a high note
- IGC Receives No Objection Letter from Health Canada
- Mary Jones Set to Launch in Washington after Successful California Debut
- California cannabis firm The Parent Co. is restructuring
- Canadian cannabis company Organigram achieves CA$5.3 million quarterly profit
- Maine recreational marijuana sales nearly doubled to $159 million in 2022
- Youngkin aims to stop sale of some cannabis products, expand enforcement in Virginia
- High winds, flooding shutter cannabis operations across California
- Connecticut adult-use marijuana sales set to start with big opportunities, few operators
- New York's new cannabis reality
- Humble & Fume Announces Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Transition
- Item 9 Labs Closes Out 2022 as a Top 10 Cannabis Brand in Arizona
- Curaleaf Announces Opening of Palm Beach Gardens Dispensary and Launch of New BlueKudu Chocolates in Florida
- Missouri Residents Can Soon Fill Out Applications To Grow Marijuana At Home
- Marijuana Tax Revenue Fell Nearly 24 Percent in 2022
- Greenfield Greenery gains final approval from Cannabis Control Commission after months of controversy
- 'Openings and Closings: LivWell, Emerald Fields Open New Stores as Lightshade Shrinks