Week of January 21 - 27, 2023
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (January 21 - 27, 2023): 65,142 1A MRBs + 3,613 1B MRBs = 68,755 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
A Note on Change in License Count:
- Pre-License – Updated 7 Licenses to "Inactive" (Michigan)
- Approved/Pending – Added 25 New Licenses as "Approved/Pending" (Washington & New Jersey)
- Active – Added 274 New Licenses as "Active" (Oklahoma, Illinois & Mississippi)
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- AWH Continues Expansion with Agreement to Acquire Four Maryland Dispensaries
- LIM College Partners with Association of Cannabis Workers (ACW) Local Union 420 to Offer Cannabis Industry Fundamentals Course
- ‘Several’ companies targeted in cannabis edibles crackdown, Health Canada says
- Nevada suspends cannabis cultivator’s license, cites diversion concerns
- Up to 1,400 illegal marijuana sellers proliferate ‘unchecked’ in New York City
- Cannabis vape products recalled by OLCC
- Marijuana tech firm Dutchie sues software firm Akerna in Pennsylvania
Legalization & Regulation
- Kansas governor presses lawmakers to legalize medical marijuana this year
- Two Delaware bills would legalize adult-use cannabis sales, possession
- FDA Issues Final Guidance for Clinical Research on Cannabis
- Medical marijuana rules approved in a ‘milestone’ for sales in Georgia
- Minnesota Senate panel takes in marijuana bill
- US FDA calls for new regulatory framework for use of cannabis compound CBD
- Japanese Govt Set to Legalize Medical Marijuana
- The Government created the National Agency for the cannabis industry and appointed a mayor as president
- Cannabis, Schlein takes sides for legalization. And Salvini attacks him on social media
- Colombian cannabis firm Clever Leaves to exit Portugal, cut 21% of workforce
- Marijuana MSO Curaleaf bails on California, Oregon and Colorado, cuts workforce by 4%
- Medical marijuana sales kick off in Mississippi
- Georgia OKs low-THC medical cannabis rules; sales could begin this year
- Cannabis and veggie grower Village Farms raising $25 million
- Cannabis growers exit California market, helping stabilize prices
- Marijuana MSO MariMed borrows up to $35 million for expansion, more
- More marijuana store workers in Illinois join Teamsters
- Marijuana Policy Project Announces the Addition of Four New Members to Board of Directors
- New York’s Second Adult-Use Cannabis Dispensary Expected to Open Jan. 24
- First medical marijuana sold in Mississippi
- Root & Bloom and Joyibles Bring Joy Bombs Candy-Coated Fruit Chews to Massachusetts
- Body and Mind Announces (October 2022) Q1 2023 Financial Results
- Marijuana Minor Decoy Operations Report Date
- Cannabis producer Green Organic Dutchman changing its name