Week of February 4 - 10, 2023
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (February 4 - 10, 2023): 65,439 1A MRBs + 3,630 1B MRBs = 69,069 total
Tier 1A defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed to sale," and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B defined: Businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB. CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial owners defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Scotts Miracle-Gro cannabis unit sues TerrAscend over expansion into New York market
- Manhattan sends 400 warning notices to landlords of illegal marijuana stores
- Fake CBD, edibles, cash seized from Robert Deming’s kratom shops
- Six Firms Vie To Lead NewAge Investors Securities Suit
Legalization & Regulation
- Legislation would give MMJ operators edge in Maryland’s rec cannabis market
- Florida adult-use marijuana legalization campaign clears early hurdle
- Minnesota Marijuana Legalization Bill Clears Fifth Senate Committee, With Former Governor Delivering Impassioned Endorsement
- Nebraska Senators Hold Hearings On Revised Medical Marijuana Bill And Recreational Legalization Proposals
- New ‘fix’ to Georgia’s medical cannabis program clears legislative committee
- New Jersey eliminates marijuana cultivation license cap
- Florida sets application date for 22 more medical cannabis licenses
- Hong Kong bans increasingly popular CBD products
- Halucenex Life Sciences Inc. targets Australian market following landmark TGA decision
- Louisiana’s largest medical marijuana producer doubling capacity
- Judge sides with Washington state over cannabis residency requirement
- Aurora posts positive adjusted EBITDA on marijuana sales growth
- Colorado launches energy-efficiency program for cannabis cultivators
- Cannabis producer Canopy cutting 800 jobs, closing flagship Canadian facility
- Marijuana sales in New Mexico total $40.2 million in January
- Canada still waiting for cannabis consumption spaces – with exceptions
- Metrc track-and-trace system expands to Missouri adult-use marijuana market
- Cannabis MSO MedMen warns about cash situation, ability to stay afloat
- Missouri tops $12.6 million on opening weekend of adult-use marijuana sales
- Massachusetts Cracks $5 Billion in Total Cannabis Sales
- YourWay Terminates Licensing Agreements with Old Pal and Airo Brands
- Governor Hochul Announces Opening of First Adult-Use Cannabis Dispensary in the Southern Tier
- Planet 13 to Open Dispensary in Illinois
- California Lawmaker Proposes Cafe-Style Cannabis Consumption Lounges
- Doobie Delivery Launches First Recreational Cannabis Delivery Service in Missouri
- Michigan Allows Equivalent Licensees to Transfer Product between Rec and Medical Operations
- Illinois property combines marijuana store and alcohol sales under one roof