Week of September 3 - 9, 2022
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (September 3 - 9, 2022): 61,665 1A MRBs + 3,497 1B MRBs = 65,162 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Flora Growth subsidiary Just Brands acquires No Cap Hemp Co.
- Cresco sells Pennsylvania cannabis property for $45M in leaseback deal
Legalization and Regulation
- Minnesota Voters Should Decide On Marijuana Legalization At The Ballot, Republican Nominee For Governor Says
- Trulieve-backed adult-use cannabis legalization push launches in Maryland
- Missouri special session won’t take up adult-use marijuana legalization
- German cannabis imports growing as Canada’s leading share wanes
- Canadian marijuana stocks dumped by world’s largest sovereign fund
- Marijuana businesses in Michigan, Pennsylvania unionize
- Marijuana companies lay off hundreds, retrench amid economic woes
- California advises marijuana operators to conserve energy amid heat wave
- Marijuana firm Bright Green sets deal on $10 million private placement funding
- DC delays inspections of cannabis gifting stores
- Minnesota Arrests Black People For Marijuana At Much Higher Rates Than White People, State Data Shows
- Florida Agriculture Commissioner Slams New Medical Marijuana Dosage Limits