Week of October 29 - November 4, 2022
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (October 29 - November 4, 2022): 63,160 1A MRBs + 3,565 1B MRBs = 66,725 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Charlotte’s Web, Tilray sign Canadian manufacturing, distribution deal for CBD
- SNDL successful in bid to acquire marijuana producer Zenabis
- Cannabis financier SHF Holdings buys fintech firm Abaca for $30 million
Legalization & Regulation
- St. Louis mayor opposes Missouri marijuana legalization amendment
- 'Missouri Secretary of State a ‘No’ Vote on Adult-Use Cannabis
- Connecticut Regulators Name Cannabis Manufacturer, Transporter Applicants Selected to Advance in Licensing Process
- 100 Apply For Nevada Cannabis Consumption Lounge; Up to 40 Licenses Available
- Mississippi Announces More Provisionally Licensed Medical Cannabis Businesses Coming Online
- Alabama Medical Cannabis Commission to Establish Statewide Seed-to-Sale Tracking System
- Ayr Wellness Announces New Retail Locations and LEVIA Availability in Florida
- Canopy Growth Faces Possible Delisting From Nasdaq Upon US Entrance
- Tilray Brands, Charlotte’s Web Announce Strategic Alliance in Canada
- Fitch chops Canopy rating, citing cannabis producer’s Constellation link
- NY appointed marijuana fund manager despite Cookies conflict, report says
- Mississippi cannabis grower ordered to destroy $1 million worth of plants
- Cannabis producer Hexo reports CA$1.1 billion loss for year
- 2 arrested after cannabis candies given to trick-or-treaters: Winnipeg police
- Applicants worry New York’s preliminary retail guidelines could cut off investment
- OKLAHOMA MEDICAL MARIJUANA AUTHORITY BECOMES STANDALONE AGENCY
- Arkansas medical marijuana regulators file arguments against cultivation license lawsuit