Week of November 5 - 11, 2022
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (November 5 - 11, 2022): 63,344 1A MRBs + 3,568 1B MRBs = 66,912 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
A Note on Drop in License Count: Last week there was a dip in the license counts for "Pre-License" and "Approved/Pending" (Uniform License Status updated to "Inactive")
- Pre-License – Updated ~ 600 licenses as "Inactive" ("Failed Applicants") (Oregon)
- Approved/Pending – Updated 10 licenses as "Inactive" ("Not Available")
- (1 = Washington, 5 = Maine, 4 = Massachusetts)
(The Reported License Statuses "Failed Applicant" and "Not Available" map to the Uniform License Status "Inactive", which decreased the net License count by more than the number of new Licenses during the week.)
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Cannabis and alcohol company Tilray acquires craft brewer Montauk
- Michigan’s Jars expands marijuana footprint to CO through acquisition
- Arkansas ‘unlawfully’ awarded medical cannabis cultivation permit, judge rules
- Jamestown shuts down two illegal cannabis dispensaries
- 'FDA Finally Rejects Petition For Federal Exemption For Marijuana More Than A Decade After It Was Filed
Legalization & Regulation
- Maryland Voters Approve Marijuana Legalization Referendum On Ballot
- Arkansas Marijuana Legalization Initiative Defeated By Voters
- South Dakota Marijuana Legalization Ballot Initiative Defeated By Voters
- North Dakota Voters Reject Marijuana Legalization Ballot Initiative
- 'Missouri Voters Approve Marijuana Legalization Initiative
- Czech Republic Plans to Legalize Adult-Use Cannabis Alongside Germany
- Akanda sends first medical cannabis shipment to Germany
- Minnesota Opens Hemp License Applications for 2023
- First social equity cannabis retailer opens in California’s capital city
- STIIIZY Introduces New Line of CBN Gummies
- StateHouse Holdings Inc. to Offer Products from Sungrown Craft Cannabis Brands, Swami Select and Sonoma Hills Farm, at Harborside and Urbn Leaf Stores
- California Department of Food and Agriculture Accepting Grant Applications for Sustainable California Grown Cannabis Pilot Study
- Federal court tosses delta-8 THC lawsuit against Kansas governor
- South Dakota rejects cannabis possession, home cultivation
- Weedmaps CEO Chris Beals out as cannabis tech, ad company posts loss
- Minnesota Senators Signal Plans To Advance Marijuana Legalization In 2023 With New Democratic Majority