Week of July 23 - 29, 2022
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (July 23 - 29, 2022): 60,563 1A MRBs + 3,423 1B MRBs = 63,986 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Ascend Wellness Ready to Take Legal Action Over Licensing Holdup in New Jersey
- 4 Arkansas marijuana companies hit with RICO suit over alleged THC inflation
- Weedmaps again advertising illegal marijuana retailers and products, complaints allege
- Social Equity Applicant Sues After Being Denied Adult-Use Cannabis License in Connecticut
- Body and Mind Awarded Two Conditional Chicago Dispensary Licenses
- Guam to open adult-use cannabis application window at end of August
- Illinois Awards First Batch of Conditional Adult-Use Cannabis Dispensary Licenses
Legalization and Regulation
- Missouri Marijuana Legalization Initiative Short Of Signatures Needed For Ballot In County Reviews
- New Louisiana marijuana laws in effect Aug. 1
- US House passes marijuana research bill; Senate expected to follow suit
- Some Minnesota cities ban cannabis edibles sales as new law takes effect
- Senators Discuss Marijuana Reform At Historic Hearing Following Legalization Bill Introduction
- Michigan Cannabis Flower Dives to $122 Per Ounce, An All-Time Low
- Marijuana Research Bill Required ‘Compromise’ Over Dispensary Access For Scientists To Get Senate Buy-In, House Sponsor Says
- Doctors of Cannabis Now Offers Medical Marijuana Card Services in New York
- Willow Industries Appoints Scott Daly as Chief Commercial Officer
- A New Seminal Technology Poised to Change the Entire Cannabis Industry
- Denver lifts US residency requirement for cannabis business owners
- First licensed medical marijuana dispensary begins sales in South Dakota
- Jushi Holdings Inc. to Open 3rd Beyond Hello Dispensary in Virginia and 34th Retail Location Nationwide
- Ayr Wellness Announces 49th Florida Dispensary Opening in Clearwater
- Curaleaf Celebrates Opening Of Tampa Citrus Park Dispensary
- TerrAscend Opens Third New Jersey Cannabis Dispensary in Lodi
- Medical cannabis dispensary, Fairfax County’s first, opens today on Route 1
- New York company wins critical decision in fight for medical marijuana license
- Chicago considers limits on CBD retailers calling their shops a ‘dispensary’
- Marijuana MSO Green Dragon gets $15 million financing for expansion