Week of August 27 - September 2, 2022
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (August 27 - September 2, 2022): 61,556 1A MRBs + 3,472 1B MRBs = 65,028 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Added 7,950 UBOs under License Authority OK - Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs (OBNDD)
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- High Tide Closes the Second Tranche in Its Acquisition of Choom, Adding Established Retail Store in Niagara Falls, Ontario
- Green Sentry Acquires MedMen’s Florida Assets, Announces Sunburn Cannabis
- Florida fines marijuana testing labs for compliance violations
- Sheriff: Oregon Marijuana Grows Busted, 12 People Arrested
Legalization and Regulation
- Oklahoma high court to hear ballot issue for adult-use cannabis legalization
- Marijuana business licensees in Illinois seek changes in ownership rules
- Louisiana expanding number of medical cannabis dispensaries
- Oklahoma Supreme Court Agrees to Consider Marijuana Question
- Ayr Wellness Announces Opening of Its Relocated Dania Beach Store in Florida
- Verano Opens 3 New MÜV Dispensaries in Florida
- Illinois Awards Final Round of Adult-Use Cannabis Dispensary Licenses
- Cresco Labs Announces Three New Sunnyside Dispensaries in Florida
- TILT Holdings to Open 3rd Medical Cannabis Dispensary in Massachusetts
- Alabama Regulators Start Accepting Medical Cannabis Business Applications