Week of August 20 - 26, 2022
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (August 20 - 26, 2022): 61,297 1A MRBs + 3,461 1B MRBs = 64,758 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Aurora Cannabis buys profitable vegetable firm for CA$45M, sells Sky greenhouse
- MedMen completes Florida cannabis exit for $16 million less than original deal
- More lawsuits filed over Connecticut marijuana social equity licensing
- Curaleaf fined, Oregon license suspended in THC-CBD snafu
- Lawsuit aims to block adult-use marijuana initiative from Missouri ballot
- California’s DCC Has Seized More Than $1 Billion in Illegal Cannabis
- Maridose Announces Federal License from the U.S. Department of Justice and Drug Enforcement Agency for Bulk Manufacture and Sale of Cannabis and Cannabis-Derived Products
Legalization and Regulation
- Costa Rica president unveils plan for recreational cannabis law
- United Kingdom CBD company Trip raises $12 million for expansion
- Pennsylvania marijuana market in tumult amid falling prices, consolidation
- RIV Capital signs lease for marijuana facility in Buffalo, New York
- Truss recalls 37,000 marijuana beverages over ‘pinhole leaks’
- MS medical marijuana sales may begin in 2022 with 100-plus firms, advocate says
- Workers unionize at Verano marijuana dispensary in Illinois
- STIIIZY Ferndale Set to Open, Bringing Brand to Michigan
- Jushi Holdings to Open Fairfax Dispensary in Virginia
- Grön Handcrafted Cannabis-Infused Edibles Debuts In Missouri