Week of April 16 - 22, 2022
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (April 16 - 22, 2022): 57,738 1A MRBs + 3,324 1B MRBs = 61,062 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Acquisition & Merger
- Canadian cannabis producer Flowr selling Portugal facilities to Akanda
- Chalice Brands Ltd. announces execution of definitive agreements to acquire Oregon retail stores and cultivation assets
- DEA goes to battle in federal court over THC in hemp extractions
- Four marijuana-related companies run 'Chicago cartel,' federal lawsuit alleges
- New Hampshire Senate panel rejects recreational marijuana
- Oklahoma high court allows two adult-use marijuana ballot initiatives to advance
- Alaska cannabis regulator gets new chief, third since 2019
- Recreational marijuana consumption lounge opens in New Mexico
- Detroit opens adult-use cannabis license application process
- Acreage commences adult-use operations in New Jersey
- Medical marijuana dispensing in Alabama scheduled to start next year; what's legal
- Louisiana House Committee advances legislation to expand medical cannabis access
- The 420 Hotels plans cannabis consumption lounge in Denver's historic Patterson Inn
- Minnesota hemp license applications to close April 30
- New York issues first recreational cannabis cultivation licenses
- Health Canada referred almost 500 cannabis-related cases to federal police over two-year period