Week of September 10 - 16, 2022
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (September 10 - 16, 2022): 61,787 1A MRBs + 3,502 1B MRBs = 65,289 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Dixie owner expands into Michigan marijuana market with acquisition
- Akanda Partners with Cookies to Bring the Cannabis Brand and High THC Strains to European Consumers
- Cookies Partners With Cirona Labs on New Products
Legalization and Regulation
- Small US marijuana firms could sell direct to consumers under new bill
- California Rep. Huffman Introduces Congressional Bill to Allow Cannabis Shipping Across State Lines
- Nevada to Open Applications for Cannabis Consumption Lounges in October
- Vermont issues first licenses for recreational cannabis retailers
- Alabama gets 221 requests for cannabis business applications in only 2 weeks
- Ministry of Health approves homegrown cannabis to be turned into medicine for Kiwi patients
- Approved in first debate the project that regulates cannabis for adult use
- Connecticut hires auditor to develop process for equity cannabis licensing
- Marijuana tech platform Flowhub cuts dozen employees amid market downturn
- Florida judge scolds state for slow medical cannabis licensing
- Judge tosses lawsuit to block adult-use cannabis initiative from Missouri ballot
- Heat wave strains California marijuana operators amid power outages, disruptions
- Michigan mulls license moratorium, but would it be enough?
- A Market Leader Expands With Innovative CBD Gummy Line