Week of June 11 - 17, 2022
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (June 11 - 17, 2022): 59,961 1A MRBs + 3,394 1B MRBs = 63,355 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Ultra Health, New Mexico Cannabis Patients Sue Health Insurers
- Arkansas Supreme Court blasts failings of state medical marijuana regulators
- 3 Missouri medical marijuana companies settle with state, agree to divest licenses
- Attorney General O’Connor Files Charges Against Oklahoma Attorneys Accused of Facilitating Illegal Medical Marijuana Operations
- Licensing Update: Eight More Licenses Approved by Control Board, Legacy Market and Backlog Addressed
- High Tide Announces Cabana Cannabis Co. Branded White Label Products to Launch in Ontario This Fall
- Montana Regulators Limit Tribal Cannabis Cultivation Licenses
Legalization and Regulation
- North Carolina House Approves Bill to Legalize FDA-Approved THC Medications
- Louisiana Legislature Passes Bill to Protect Workers Who Use Medical Cannabis
- Nebraska medical marijuana legalization group wins initial court battle
- What To Expect With New York's First 200 Adult-Use Dispensaries
- Germany kicks off preparatory phase of cannabis legislation
- Thailand Becomes First Asian Country to Legalize Marijuana
- Adult-use cannabis policy now in effect
- Colorado marijuana retail chain Buddy Boy to shutter stores
- Delaware House Upholds Governor’s Marijuana Legalization Veto
- Pennsylvania judge: Medical cannabis operators can resume vape sales
- Johnson & Johnson asks FDA to ‘chip away’ at cannabinoid regulations
- IL judge lifts order keeping marijuana growers from prepping for launch
- Inaccurate strain names, poor labeling hinder marijuana industry, study shows
- Kentucky governor forms medical marijuana advisory committee
- Trulieve Opens New Port Richey Florida Medical Cannabis Dispensary
- Curaleaf Celebrates Opening of Lancaster, Pennsylvania Dispensary
- Michigan Cannabis Dispensary Adds Drive-Thru to Serve Customers
- Ayr Wellness to Begin Adult-Use Sales in its Three New Jersey Dispensaries