Week of July 9 - 15, 2022
Do you love data and staying up to date with the latest cannabis-related headlines? Are you searching for industry news to inform your institution’s approach to cannabis risk and compliance?
You've come to the right place.
Hashing Out the Truth
CRB Monitor’s database growth by the numbers.
Tier 1 Marijuana-Related Business Counts
Weekly Summary (July 9 - 15, 2022): 60,187 1A MRBs + 3,398 1B MRBs = 63,585 total
Tier 1A Defined: Businesses in this tier literally touch the cannabis plant at some point along the supply chain from "seed-to-sale" and are generally licensed by a government agency or regulator. Effectively all of their actual or expected revenue is derived from the cultivation, production, testing or sale of cannabis.
Tier 1B Defined: CRB Monitor tiers businesses that have a financial or controlling interest in a Tier 1A CRB as "Tier 1B." CRB Monitor generally considers 1B businesses as seemingly unrelated businesses highlighted as red flags by FinCEN in its marijuana banking guidance and are similar in nature to individual beneficial owners.
Marijuana Business Licenses
Note: Inactive licenses, unlicensed, and unknown licenses have been excluded.
Beneficial Owners Count
Beneficial Owners Defined: For beneficial owners, each economic owner or controlling person is classified into one or more categories based on their relationship to the linked CRB including: (1) Owner/Investor, (2) Board Member, (3) Corporate Officer, (4) Executive, (5) Non-commercial Registered Agent or (6) Senior Manager.
News of Note
A selection of relevant cannabis-related news.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Columbia Care Announces Approval of Business Merger With Cresco Labs at Special Meeting of Shareholders
- New York regulators identify 52 allegedly illicit marijuana shops
- NY cannabis agency publicly – and wrongly – accused a local business of illegal marijuana sales
- Colorado regulators issued a health and safety advisory about potentially unsafe levels of yeast and mold contamination on marijuana products from Dune Valley Farms, LLC.
- Marijuana in CT: 16 applicants recommended to grow pot, including from Stamford, Hartford
- Detroit City Council Votes to Open Adult-Use Cannabis Business Applications for Retailers, Consumption Lounges
Legalization and Regulation
- Minnesota Brewing Company Launches THC- and CBD-Infused Beverage
- North Carolina Governor Signs Hemp Bill Into Law as Medical Cannabis Legislation Languishes in House
- North Dakota Campaign Submits Over 25,000 Signatures to Place Adult-Use Cannabis Legalization Measure on November Ballot
- Adult-use cannabis could appear on Arkansas ballot this fall
- Alabama Regulators Release Draft Rules for Medical Cannabis Industry
- Pennsylvania Governor Signs Cannabis Banking Legislation Into Law
- Report: Long-awaited Senate marijuana bill may be offered next week
- Nebraskans for Medical Marijuana Submits Over 90,000 Signatures to Place Initiatives on November Ballot
- Trulieve Opens Medical Cannabis Dispensary in Apopka, Florida
- Jushi Announces Grand Reopening of Beyond Hello Palm Springs
- University of New Haven in Connecticut Introduces Cannabis Certificate Programs
- Vermont to Withdraw USDA-Approved Hemp Production Plan
- Ontario Cannabis Store appoints Lobo as permanent CEO
- Texas medical cannabis firms bet on market reforms, more opportunities
- Ayr Launches Adult-Use Cannabis Sales in Watertown, Mass.
- Pennsylvania medical marijuana grower lays off dozens of employees
- Cookies Opens First Retail Location in Missouri
- Organigram trims loss to CA$2.8 million as cannabis sales surge
- New Mexico's Environment Department launched a new Cannabis and Hemp Bureau.
- Orcosa Appoints Andrew C. von Eschenbach, M.D. and Former Commissioner of the FDA, as Senior Advisor
- Curaleaf's Select Brand Announces Launch of "The Farmer's Select" Program